Thursday, March 11, 2010

What's next?

Back in the U.S.... back to reality... back to Western medicine. I'm knee deep in immunizations, well-child, strep throat assays, and crying children who are fearful of the "white coat". I completed a 3-week course in inpatient pediatrics at Highland Park and loved the experience. The hospitalist group gave me full autonomy to see newborns, provide medical clearance to inpatient pediatric psych patients, consult on pediatrics in the ED, and of course, round on our inpatient peds. The staff and I got along great and I really felt as if I were on my own. Now, I'm in outpatient peds and it's a whole different world. The parents are MUCH more involved, the kids are MUCH less willing, and I just don't love it to be honest. Two more weeks and I'm outta there!

Upcoming..
My last rotation has finally been chosen! Reconstructive plastic surgery with Dr. Howard at Evanston... whoohoo! Check out his recent blog from a trip abroad to Haiti to help out in their medical disaster. http://www.northshore.org/about-us/press/homepage-features/haiti-blog.aspx
I think we'll get along just peachy keen.

June 4th - graduation - the light at the end of the tunnel is actually in sight.
June 23rd - anticipated board exams. YIKES! Not ready to think about that yet.


In the meantime, I'm loving being back in Chicago and especially loving the warmer weather that is approaching. I've had a lot of late-night thoughts about where to live, where to apply for jobs, and what to do in my life after school. So many decisions but it'll eventually all play out whether I plan it or not!

Another day in the life of a PA student... to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment